Lingam Palace | Kochi Muziris Biennale KMB 2014
Installation by Friso Witteveen, 2014, Kochi, India
3,5 x 3 x 3 m., mild steel, plywood, polyester, foil and paint
Based on the floorplan of Bolgatty Palace (1744), Kochi, presented as the oldest
Dutch Mansion outside Holland, where within was a Temple dedicated to Shiva,
first of its kind in Kerala.
Tradition tells at the same time the Dutch stole ‘a granite pillar’ from the
Mathilakam Temple nearby Paponetty in 1717, and installed this pillar as a
dolphin for the VOC-ships in the harbour of Kochi.
KOCHI MUZIRIS BIENNALE KMB | 12 Dec 2014 – 29 MAR 2015
26 artists from India and abroad in the group-show
‘Janela – Migrating Forms and Migrating Gods’
Collateral Event in Mill Hall Compound,
Kombaramukku jn., IV/599 Eraveli Road,
Mattancherry, Kochi, Kerala, India Kombaramukku jn., IV/599 Eraveli
Curated by Valentina Gioia Levy, Rome, Italy
project initiated and hosted by Subodh Kerkar, Goa, India.
Thanks to Vinisha Mulani, MSc University College London
Asialink Arts resident at KMB2014 for a fine interview.
Thanks to Els & Rick for special support,
and to René for special funding.